Whether you are a spectator whom delights in the indulgent ritual of catching up with your favourite blogs, reading the newest posts from all manner of sites or whether your out pouring of wonderings fills the screen in front of you sharing thoughts and findings- surfing the net proves fruitful for so many and brings people together in the most creative of ways.
To celebrate the world of blogging, what we achieve from reaching out to strangers, the gathering of inspiration and escape into literature and the day to day world of others; a pat on the back has been created, by means of The Liebster Award.
This recognition is handed to bloggers by bloggers, aiming at fellow sapplings with 200 followers or less, and by becoming nominated you then get to nominate others, sharing with the world your favourite blogs- a fantastic idea!
The gorgeous doll Jade, who's blog The Cosmetic Effect THE place to go for honest beauty reviews and to meet to most wonderfully friendly and awesome lady herself, nominated my wee blog. Now, I don't know if she'd had a cup of mulled wine too many, but I'm super thankful anyway to say the least! ;)
Jade has given me the challenge of answering a collection of 11 questions, lovingly devised by her clever and creative mind, and an even bigger challenge- to think up 11 interesting/ random facts about myself… My dear Jade, I appreciate hugely this challenge, but my oh my am I the biggest grandma dork going, I may well struggle in summoning something 'interesting'! Haha!! What was not a challenge, however, was listing 11 blogs, (with 200 readers or less), that I adore! But first the facts:
1. I am about to take the plunge and move to Holland to live with my Dutch boyfriend. We have been living with the darn sea between us for quite a while now, making the most of trips to each other, but we think its time to try it for reals. The thought of not being near my family on a daily basis is quite hard, and is the only thing holding me back from skipping down the street with excitement, but we're trying to be brave and all go through it together, and all enjoy the excitement too. To those of you that live a distance from their families, any tips you may have, I would be super grateful to hear them!
2. At college I studied textiles and art and then went on to study costume design and construction at university, in Bournemouth. I have learnt so much about analysing characters, breaking down a script, researching the history of fashion, the design processes and the construction of clothing. This then led to working in theatres, films and dance. With the move to Holland, I am at a bit of a crossroads, work wise. I'm taking some time to figure out whats next- whilst sewing and drawing for fun on the side!
3. I am a very wee 5 ft 1 ish (and my ridiculously tall boyfriend is 6 ft 3. Bit of a difference!) My 9 year old cousin has bigger feet than me...
4. For a very long time I was blonde!!
5. I love to read!! I could literally sit the entire day with a book. Heaven!
6. I hate night clubs. Now, don't get me wrong, get me on a dance floor and I am unstoppable, but dingy, smelly, sticky- floored, crowded, sweaty night clubs are my idea of hell. I can't get into the music they play in those places, and I tend to get lost amongst the long legged scantily clad crowd. Gross!
7. I am a bit of a sci-fi nerd and loves me some comics, I also like anything with dragons and castles and knights in armour (did I mention I was a 27 year old woman?..)
8. I throw a mean cartwheel, and may have been caught on camera cartwheeling down the corridors of the Japanese Hilton.
9. My last job was working within the wardrobe department for the Birmingham Royal Ballet, with whom I toured England and internationally, and tried on as many hats and head dresses as possible between dressing dancers and washing tutus.
10. I am a film and tv addict, sad but true. I like all kinds of films, literally everything, and have a seriously annoying habit of quoting them daily (to a somewhat oblivious audience since Rich never knows what I'm going on about!)
11. I would really love to open an etsy shop of hand crafted goodies, but I'm still trying to figure out what to make. I made a hair piece for my friends wedding and since then have thought of making some to sell. I think in the new year a little trial and error may be in order. I mostly sew and knit for myself, maybe its time to be brave and branch out.
J- Peanut butter or jelly?
G- 100% definitely peanut butter, the crunchy kind of course!
J- Favorite hair product?
G- Hmmm I love the smell of the shine mist Head Rush from the Tigi Bed Head range and always use a heat protector before blow drying, usually one from Tresemme.
J- Shaved head or shaved eyebrows?
G- Haha! I'm going for shaved head, I'm a lover of eye brows!
J- What’s your favorite perfume?
G- That's an easy one, I reeeeally like Lily by Stella McCartney, powerful memories evoked from smelling this one, and it makes me feel scrumptious.
J- Favorite nail polish?
G- I'm a bit rubbish with the up keep of nail varnish, you'll often find me with a scrappy paint job, but I do love either a nudey shade or a pop of sparkle! (She says whilst wearing pink…)
J- If you won $5,000 what would you buy?
G- Man, I'm so boring with money, I'd either be a loser and save it for a rainy day, discretely donate or put it towards flights back and forth between England and Holland.
J- Where’s your favorite place to visit and why?
G- Well, I recently fell in love with south Holland and enjoy spending time there, also on top of my list are Lyme Regis in Devon, Bakewell in Derbyshire and Holywell Bay in Newquay- all favourite family holiday destinations when I was a kid. (Oh, and I love NY and Brooklyn too).
J- Favorite place to shop for beauty items?
G- Probably Lush, I can't enter this shop and leave without buying something!
J- Sneakers, boots, or flats?
G- Sneakers all the way baby!! Being a pipsqueak 5 ft 1 you'd think I would wear heels but my bumpers and I have a loyal relationship ;)
J- Favorite food?
G- I used to be annoyingly fussy, these days I try everything! (My poor hips still haven't forgiven me for my new taste for food!) That said, does ice cream count? From the tub please, it just doesn't taste the same in a bowl.
J- Favorite TV show?
G- Okay confession time, I am a tv addict. With this I wouldn't know where to start. Here's a few I can think of: Mad Men, New Girl, American Horror Story, Supernatural, Grey's Anatomy, Dexter, The IT Crowd.
In no order of preference, here are some of the brightest and most inspiring blogs on the net, chosen for the beautiful photography, the delicately written posts, the honest and intriguing reviews, the lifestyle updates, artful features, creative fashion, diy tutorials, and for being individually awesome- my nominations:
2. Which super power would you like to possess? (Please remember to use them responsibly)
3. If you were stuck in a lift for 4 hours, which three people would you prefer to accompany you?
4. Barefoot stroll along the beach with wind blowing in your hair or quiet walk through a sunlight field while the birds sing?
5. Favourite thing to bake or cook?
6. Best book you read in 2013?
7. Wrestle an angry crocodile or take on a rabid octopus, and the essential WHY?
8. Which famous actor (alive or passed) would you like to play you in a movie of your life?
9. Which Disney princess do you think has the best style and why?
10. Please think of three goals you would like to achieve in 2014.
11. When did you start your blog and why?
I realise I may have nominated people whom have received this award already- my apologies for being a bimbo AND that one or two may have recently tipped the scales over 200 followers, but I love these blogs and they deserve super huge amounts of recognition and big thanks from me for inspiring me and my own little blog.
Now, guys, its over to you, if you accept the nomination you may write up a post listing 11 facts about yourself, answer my questions and create a bunch of your own, for your nominations :) Enjoy!! Oh, and don't forget to let them know you've nominated them!
Thank you again to Jade, you gorgeous lady and fellow nerd ; )
Wishing you all a festive December and the most exciting and wondrous new year!!
To some people, old things that have seen better days, are easily forgotten. With each new day there are technological updates across our screens, latest trends flooding the catwalks and newer models hitting the shelves. Of course, these amazing new discoveries and bright future creations are what pushes our generation forward, but sometimes isn't it just heaven to get lost in the past?
This beautiful ship was created in Rotterdam in the 1950s, and set sail on its first voyage to the shores of New York on September 3rd 1959. Forging the pathway for modern and luxurious travel, the Holland America Line held twelve thousand passengers, including special guest Princess Beatrix, and with its expansive size and sleek features the SS Rotterdam was quite a sight to behold. The SS Rotterdam enjoyed the 60's, sailing as a transatlantic crossing and hosting elegant cruises, but during the early 70's cheap air flights were the newest way to travel, and the meant the end of liner services to New York, the SS Rotterdam made her final crossing.
After many dormant years, left alone and unused, in 2005 a grand project began, to restore the ship to its original beauty, and is today anchored in Rotterdam, serving as a high quality hotel. And trust me when I say, if you're into retro 60's glamour, this baby is a must see.
// Note Rich checking out the mini bar... //
We watched the gorgeous sun set whilst sitting out on the top deck, strolled along the boards taking in the atmosphere, had drinks in one of the many hotel bars and even watched a movie in the on board cinema. In the day we decided to continue with the nautical theme and took a boat ride around the world famous Rotterdam Port, taking in the vast and plentiful happenings along the coast line.
If you find yourself in Rotterdam, or are planning a trip to Holland, I highly recommend a night or two in this beautifully preserved piece of history. Mad Men esque wardrobe optional but appreciated!
I simply can not be the only person that finds Jess ridiculously relatable, unfortunately not in the fashion sense (I wish), but more in the hopelessly optimistic, day dreaming and clumsily stumbling through life. The relationship between the characters is genius, each one a comedic gem- I can literally cry with laugher with some of the witty (and stupid) lines.
For the already deeply addicted, to the lucky duckies about to dive head first into laughs a minute and style a plenty, these cheeky quotalicious gifs are my gift to you!
Fine tune your best singing voices, get your shoes polished and by the fire place and cross your fingers you're on the good list!!
It's that time of year again! Sint and his Zwarte Pieten arrived a few weeks ago and are getting ready to visit the chimney's of all the good children of the Netherlands (and Belguim, Luxembourg and many other places like Suriname and Indonesia).
Sinterklaas is the Dutch equivalent of Santa, who travels to Holland from Spain, via boat, mid November and rides his white horse around the streets of the Netherlands, greeting the citizens with all kinds of tasty treats! He then rests in a nearby castle, while children across the Low Lands sing their festive songs, with their clogs and shoes by the fire place. Come the 5th of December, if you've been a nice person of course, you will awake to find small treasures inside your shoes!
Some people even leave straw and carrots for Sinterklaas's horse!! (Much like we do for Father Christmas's reindeer).
The wonderful Etsy have showcased some gorgeous festive lovelies, ideal for celebrating this delightful Dutch tradition in style!